When people come to get All-on-4 or any other dental implant treatment in Cancun, they ask if its going to hurt and if they can be put to sleep during the surgery. We always reassure our patients that All-on-4 only requires local anesthesia but you might opt for Sedation Dentistry. We have a licensed anesthesiologist for this purpose.
The first thing you should know is that Sedation Dentistry is NOT general anesthesia, which means you won’t be put to sleep but you won’t remember a thing of what’s happening and you will be able to follow the doctor’s directions during the surgery. You will stay awake in a haze and you might slur your words a bit.
Who can get Sedation Dentistry?
- People with anxiety problems
- People afraid of the dentist
- People with a low pain threshold
- People with sensitive gag reflex
- People afraid of needles
- People who will get a lot of dental work done
- People with movement problems (ejem. Parkinson, cerebral palsy, etc)
- People with autism, alzheimer or similar. This would make the experience to be as smooth as possible without the stressing them.
In all cases, the doctor will still need to evaluate your medical history to see if you have any other conditions that might have to be taken into account to decide if you can get Sedation Dentistry without further problems.
These are some conditions we need to know in advance:
- Heart conditions
- Liver and Kidney diseases
- Respiratory problems
- Previous surgeries
- Currently pregnant
- Use of antidepressant and anti-anxiety medications
The doctor will speak with you and work together to see if the sedation dentistry is the best option for you. Also, after the surgery you might need to go back to your hotel and rest, or wait at our clinic. You shouldn’t drive after dentistry sedation and we can arrange transportation for you if you come on your own.